Friday, July 20, 2007

Light the Night Walk - In Memory of Gerry "Gump" Brown

Please visit my Light The Night homepage. http://www.active.com/donate/ltnWilmin1/2122_mamagump

"Team Gump has been created by a very special group of friends. They are going all out to raise funds to support the causes of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. When they told me what they were doing, I just shook with excitement!! I will keep you posted on the fundraisers that they are planning. (t-shirts, stickers, etc.) You know me, PLAN is a four-letter word in my vocabulary, so I will leave that up to them. Since I have had amazing support in just my first two days of fundraising, I have increased my goal from $500 to $1500. Thanks for all you do for me and my family, which very much includes my friends! Check out the webpage..."

Although Gerry lost his battle to ALL this year, our family and friends are making it our mission to keep his spirit alive! Gerry's main concern when he was diagnosed with leukemia was to help others in the future. He was very vocal about the fact that he was given a second chance because someone else made a donation and gave their time to support funding and research.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk is the nation's night to pay tribute and bring hope to thousands of patients battling blood cancers and to commemorate loved ones lost.
The Society funds lifesaving cancer research that has contributed to major advances in the treatment of blood cancers and many other types of cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and stem cell transplants that have prolonged and enhanced the lives of patients. New targeted therapies that kill cancer cells without harming normal tissue have already begun to provide drugs and procedures that are improving quality of life.
But more research is critically needed:
Every five minutes someone is diagnosed with blood cancer. Every ten minutes, someone dies.
Leukemia causes more deaths among children than any other cancer
More than 20,000 Americans died from lymphoma in 2006
Please make a donation to support my Light The Night Walk and help save lives. Be sure to check my Web site frequently to see my progress, and again, thanks for your support!
http://www.active.com/donate/ltnWilmin1/2122_mamagump

No comments: